Roasted Stuffed Capsicum: These days you can’t just serve dal/lentils and some simple curry to your family let alone guests. Looks matter…a lot!! We run out of options thinking of the lunch or dinner menu. It has to have both nutrition and aesthetic value :D. I tried plating the dish in different styles and used a variety of condiments. But that wasn’t enough. Some creativity and twist were needed.
Here I have come up with this recipe; that is a great treat to eyes and tastes equally great. Your family and friends will thank you for this. You can serve this as a side dish or a main dish with roti/naan/flatbread and curd. The capsicums/bell peppers can either be baked or cooked in a pan. Both ways it tastes great but cooking in a pan requires little more effort than baking in the oven.
In this post, I have mentioned how to cook it in the oven. I have written the second procedure of cooking in a pan too!!
Cooking Time: 50- 55 mins
Table of Contents
Ingredients for Roasted Stuffed Capsicum
- 4-5 medium to large sized capsicum/red/yellow bell peppers
- 4-5 medium sized potato
- 1 large onion finely chopped
- 1 tsp cumin
- ¼ tsp red chili powder
- ½ tsp turmeric powder
- ¼ tsp garam masala
- ½ tsp amchoor powder(mango powder)/lemon juice
- 1 pinch of asafoetida
- 2 tbsp coriander leaves chopped
- 1 small green chili chopped
- 1 tbsp oil for the stuffing
- 1 tbsp oil for sautéing the capsicum
- Salt as required
The procedure of making Roasted Stuffed Capsicum
Preparing the stuffing:
- Boil potatoes. Peel and grate them.
- Cut the tops of the capsicum, remove all seeds. Wash properly and let them dry on paper towel.
- Heat oil in a pan. Add cumin seeds.
- When it starts to crackle, add chopped onions and sauté on medium flame till they turn translucent.
- Add chopped green chili. Stir and add turmeric powder, red chili powder, asafoetida.
- Add grated potatoes and add remaining spices-garam masala, amchoor powder and salt.
- Mix everything. Keep on low flame for 2 mins and then add chopped coriander leaves.
- Let this mixture cool down to room temperature.
- Your stuffing is ready.
5. Remove the top and empty the capsicum. Wash properly and dry on kitchen napkin.
6.Oil the capsicum.
7. With a spoon, fill the capsicums with the stuffing.
8.I have garnished the top of the stuffed bell peppers with grated cheese. The cheese melts into gooey awesomeness and also seals the stuffing in!!
Baking the stuffed Bell Peppers in Oven:
- Pre-heat the oven at 200C.
- Brush the surface of the capsicum with oil.
- Bake these at 200C for 25-30mins (oven settings may vary, so check accordingly). Cook till the capsicum turns golden and wrinkled.
- Capsicums are ready to serve.
Sautéing the Stuffed Bell Peppers in a pan:
- Heat oil in a flat pan and place stuffed capsicum in it.
- Cover the lid and let them cook on low flame.
- Keep changing the sides every 5-6mins. The sides will start to turn golden and wrinkled.
- Also place the open potato side of the capsicum touching the pan.
- It takes a approx. 20-25mins to cook all sides.
- Garnish with coriander leaves.
- Serve hot.
I believe there’s a hidden chef in every woman. Even if you do just occasional cooking, give this recipe a try and bag all the compliments. 🙂
Keep experimenting with food and share your experience with us. For the love of food is the greatest of all. 😀 🙂