How To Get Rid Of Liver Spots? Our skin is one of the most sensitive things on the planet. It is also a mirror of what we eat or drink, basically our lifestyle and habits, because everything we do shows on our skin. Hence, it is extremely important to take care of it. More than 10 million cases of the liver spots are recorded in India per year. Today we are discussing this common skin condition.
What is Liver Spot?
Liver spots, also known as age spots are small dark areas or spots on the skin which mostly occurs in adults over the age of 50. But these may happen to younger people too, especially to those who are exposed to the sun a lot of time. Liver spots vary in size and are common on the face, shoulder, hands, basically areas exposed to the sun. Age spots are harmless and do not require any spot of treatment.
Causes of liver spots?
Excessive exposure to Sun over the years is the major cause of liver spots. What happens in this situation is that the UV rays accelerate the production of melanin. The skin which is excessively exposed to the sun over the years starts developing or producing melanin in high concentration. Thus, age spots start to appear.
What are the Symptoms of Liver spots?
- Liver spots are flat, brownish areas with increased pigmentation on the skin.
- They are usually scattered and do not have any particular shape or size.
- Usual areas where they appear are arms, top of the hand, face, top of the feet, shoulders and upper back.
Whom does it happen to?
Liver spots or age spots may affect anyone regardless of their skin type or color, but they are more common in people with fair or lighter skin.
Is doctor required?
Yes, it is better to consult a doctor because any skin change can be a sign of melanoma, which is a form of cancer. Although liver spots are harmless, it is safe to visit a doctor to be sure its liver spots and not any form of skin cancer. Better safe than sorry.
How to prevent Liver spots from happening?
- It is better to avoid the sun during the peak hours when the sunrays are overhead and more intense. Scheduling indoor activities during these hours would be a better option.
- Always wear your sunscreen 20 to 30 minutes prior to going out in the sun. Also, reapply it every 3 hours to protect your skin from the harmful effects of UV rays.
- The other option would be to cover up. Cover yourself up properly before you head out in the sun. And yes, do avoid black, as it doesn’t reflect the rays back.
How to get rid of liver spots?
Though liver spots are not dangerous and can appear at any stage of life, it makes people uncomfortable with how they appear or look. Thus, here are a few home remedies that can be used to reduce or get rid of liver spots.
- Apple cider vinegar can be used to reduce liver spots. Just dab a few drops onto a cotton pad and apply in the affected area before going to bed and leave it overnight. Repeat this daily. In a few weeks, you will be able to notice the changes. If your skin gets dry easily, it is better to mix olive oil with the vinegar which will keep the skin soft and smooth.
- Buttermilk has lactic acid in it, which helps in reducing the liver spots. Dip a cotton pad into a bowl of buttermilk. Remove the excess, apply to the affected area and let it rest for about 15 minutes. Rinse with normal or lukewarm water. Do it regularly till you notice a change.
- Onions can be used by people who have allergies or irritation with vinegar or lemon. Here is how you can use an onion to get rid of liver spots. Slice up an onion and rub it on the affected area twice or thrice in a day. Let it sit for 10 to 15 minutes and wash well till its smell vanishes. You may also use onion juice and honey for the same purpose.
- Aloe Vera is the queen of all skin problems. Its anti-inflammatory properties make it absolutely wonderful for all kinds of skin problems. Rub a fresh Aloe Vera gel, if you have the plant at home, on the affected area and let it rest for about 30 minutes. You may or may not wash off it afterward. Repeat the practice twice every day to see the changes.
- Sandalwood essential oil has anti-aging compounds which are really handy at reducing these age spots. Dilute a few drops of this essential oil with any carrier oil and massage well on the affected area. Sandalwood powder can also be used for this purpose. Add a few drops of lemon juice and glycerin, a little bit of rosewater to some sandalwood power. Make a paste and apply on the spots. Let it dry and then wash off with normal to cold water.
- Potatoes can easily be found at homes. It has bleaching properties which can help in removing the freckles and blemishes. For this, we need fresh potato juice. Add 2-3 drops of lemon juice and a few drops of honey. Mix all the three really well and apply it on the affected area. After 20 minutes wash it off. Repeat regularly to see the effects.
- Massaging the affected area with castor oil is also a very good solution. Do it twice every day for 4 to5 weeks after which changes may start to appear.
Thus, these were a few of the many natural remedies that one could use to get rid of liver spots. It is better to take care of the skin from the start. Drink plenty of water and apply enough sunscreen. After all, it is never too late.