Home Remedies for Leg Cramps at Night: You go to a good night’s sleep. Suddenly in the middle of the night, you experience a jolt of current through your leg that completely awakens you from your sleep. The pain gets uncontrollable and constant. No amount of left-right, fold-stretch seems to subdue the tonic like pain. In fact, you can’t even move your leg, it freezes. You press your eyes and tears roll out. You never felt so helpless in life. These are the evil leg cramps or muscle spasms which you all might have experienced at least once in life. These are for no doubt worse than nightmares.
Pregnant women are more susceptible to leg cramps due to deficiency of minerals in their body. That is why they are advised to take food with rich calcium, potassium and magnesium.
Leg cramps can occur due to several reasons:
- Dehydration: It is the most common cause. It’s a condition when the body has lost a considerable amount of fluid.
- Incorrect Posture: Incorrect posture of sitting or sleeping might tighten your muscles especially around the calves, causing leg cramps.
- Overuse of muscles: Doing too much exercise in a day might make you happy that you burnt a lot of calories in a single day but that’s actually doing no good because you are only inviting the evil cramps for the times when you relax.
Some of us might already know this. Stretching the cramped leg, keeping the heel on the ground and trying to touch the toe or just holding it (if you are flexible enough) until the muscle loosens can make the pain go away in few seconds.
But we can also save ourselves against these terrifying experiences from happening again in future by following any of these 3 simple home remedies that I mentioned below:
- Apple cider vinegar- Take a tablespoon of raw apple cider vinegar and dilute it in a cup of warm water. Add a teaspoon of honey to it. Drink this solution every day before going to sleep. Apple cider vinegar are known to have several health benefits. They are also good for skin and hair. They are rich in potassium and calcium, two essential minerals for muscle and bone health.
2. Hydrate yourself- Drink a lot of water. I cannot emphasize on this enough how much important it is to drink plenty of water every day. Say at least a glass of water every 2 hrs. Water will not prevent muscle cramps but also help flush out toxins from your body, improve the blood circulation, help in weight loss and what not. Have more fluid in your diet. Have fruit which has more water content like cucumber. This is literally a one-stop solution for many things.
3. Essential oil- Use castor oil, eucalyptus oil, basil oil, mint oil, cinnamon oil or any of the other essential oils to relieve from leg cramps. Warm the oil a bit and gently massage over the muscular areas prone to cramps. If that seems too much of a work then simply add a few drops of it in your bathing water and it would do its job. Essential oils are known to have many medicinal properties. They treat muscle pain, cramps, cold, and cough, reduce cellulitis and wrinkles and much more.
There are many other remedies out there for preventing leg cramps but I think these are the easiest ones and much effortless. If you know any other great remedy, do let me know in the comments section below!