Which are the Best Menstrual Cups in India? : As we all know that tampons and sanitary napkins consist of chemicals which are very harmful to your body and are not eco-friendly. A better alternative for that would be a menstrual cup.
What is a menstrual cup?
It is a funnel-shaped re-useable cup made up of silicon that you insert it inside your body during your vagina. It collects all of the menstrual flow present in the uterus. It is a chemical free cup which lasts for up to 5-10years.
How to use?
- Fold the cup the way shown in the picture below.
- Make a squat position on your pot and insert it inside your vagina the way to do with a tampon.
- Let the cup stay inside for about 6-12 hours depending on the rate of flow.
- When you feel that the cup would be full and remove the cup by pulling a little of the cup out with the help of the stick attached at the bottom of the cup and pinch the cup to pull it out and flush the menstrual flow away.
- Wash the cup and place it in boiling water and then sterilize it.
- Buy 2-3 cups beforehand so that when you are cleaning a used cup (which takes some time) you will already have another clean one available to use.
- While you are boiling the cup, make sure that the cup does sink or touch the walls of the boiler because it is made up of silicon and it might melt. Make sure it is floating all the time.
- Buy cups which have a longer tip attached to it because that makes the removal easier.
Menstrual cups are available in 3 sizes:
- Small: It is for young girls, girls who have very little flow and virgins.
- Medium: It is for women who have moderate flow.
- Large: It is for women who have a very heavy flow.
Pros of using a menstrual cup:
- It is very eco-friendly.
- It doesn’t consist of any chemicals.
- It is a one-time investment and can be used for a lot of years.
- You don’t have to keep changing it every few hours; you can keep it on for up to 6-12 hours.
- There are fewer odors.
- You won’t feel the presence of it, once you get used to it and place it right.
- It doesn’t spill unless you buy a bad product.
- You don’t get any rashes or allergies.
- You can use it while swimming.
- You don’t have to go buy new ones every month.
- It might get a little uncomfortable for new users at the beginning but you will get used to it.
- People are new to such concepts so people might feel shy about using it.
- Removal and cleaning can get messy and gross but that is always one’s perspective, not everyone thinks that way.
Some of the best menstrual cups available in the market are:
1 ) WOW Skin Science Freedom Reusable Menstrual Cup & Wash
- It claims to collect about 1 ounce of menstrual flow.
- The stick attached at the bottom of the cup is long enough.
- This package consists of a cup as well as a wash.
- The product retails for ₹549.
2) Sirona Reusable Menstrual Cup with FDA Compliant Medical Grade Silicone
- The cup can retain 15ml+ of menstrual blood and is comfortable to wear with no spillage.
- The brand claims that this product will last you for about 15 years.
- The product has a long stick attached to it.
- The product retails for ₹349.
3 ) SanNap menstrual cups
- Made From 100% Medical Grade Dyes & Silicone
- It has a soft Rim For Pain-Free Insertion
- It can be worn for 8-12 hours.
- This product retails for ₹399.