What are the Home Remedies for Bleeding Gums? We have all been faced with the torture of bleeding gums at some point. Bleeding gums are a cause of worry. This may be an indication of gum disease. Identifying the cause of bleeding gums is important to understand the remedies that will work. The effort you put in your whites should also be put while taking care of your gums.
Why do my gums bleed?
Bleeding gums can be caused due to brushing too hard, poor dental hygiene, inflammation of the gums or even an injury. Inadequate plaque removal is an important reason for poor gums. Plaque is a sticky film containing bacteria that covers your teeth and gums. It builds up because of the sugars and starch in your food. The basic reason for an unhygienic mouth is that it is home to various unhealthy bacteria that feeds on you.
The best way is to brush, floss regularly and visit the dentist for a cleaning every month.
But here are some home remedies to help you with your sore bleeding gums.
How do I get rid of bleeding gums at home?
- Practice Good Oral Hygiene: If you don’t brush and floss enough, plaque gets accumulated and causes bleeding.
- Stop Smoking: In addition to increasing the exposure to so many diseases, smoking also reduces your immune system, thereby making it harder for your body to fight bacteria. Quit smoking for a healthier lifestyle.
- Reduce Stress: We all know that emotional stress can negatively impact your immune system. Find ways to reduce stress such as meditation and exercise to improve your oral health.
- Increase your Vitamin C intake: Vitamin C helps in building our immune system. Foods like oranges, carrots and, sweet potatoes are rich in Vitamin C. Ensure they are a part of your diet.
- Cold Compress: If the bleeding is due to an injury, reduce the swelling of your gums by applying a cold compress on it. A cold compress can be in the form of an ice pack or a cold cloth.
- Rinse with Salt Water: Regularly rinsing your mouth with a mixture of salt and warm water will help fight bacteria and inflammation. It also keeps your mouth clean and heals any infections.
- Invest in a Good Toothbrush: Don’t use brushes that are too hard for your mouth. Get a soft brush and replace it every few months. You can even soak your brush in hot water to make it softer.
- Use Mouthwash: A good antibacterial mouthwash will help prevent and treat inflammations of the mouth. You can easily get it at a store. Use it at least once a day or whenever you are faced with bleeding gums.
- Floss: Make this your new habit. Your gums may bleed a little in the beginning, but after a few days, it will stop. Regular flossing improves the health of your gums.
- Eat Vegetables: Vegetables such as carrots and celery help to keep the teeth clean between meals. It also helps to remove food from the teeth.
- Natural Ingredients like Honey: We all know honey helps in healing so massage your gums gently with some raw honey for its anti-bacterial and anti-inflammatory properties. You can also use Turmeric, Aloe Vera, Ginger, Baking Soda, and Neem.
If the bleeding does not improve within a week, you may need a deep cleaning. Visit your nearest dentist for more information. Work a way out with your doctor for better oral hygiene. Go and ensure a healthy mouth and gums that don’t bleed!
Psst! Most of us are scared of the dentist. But let’s resolve to visit the dental doctor this month, alright? We are in this together. Here’s to a healthier lifestyle.