We all know Sachin Tendulkar right? Of course, who doesn’t? The exceptional batsman in the history of men’s cricket, but do you know there exists a lady Sachin Tendulkar too? Mithali Raj also knows as “Tendulkar of women’s’ cricket” is a woman who has made Indian women’s cricket team reach great heights. She is the captain of Indian women’s cricket team in Tests and ODIs.
- Full name: Mithali Dorai Raj
- Nickname: Mithu
- Born: 3rd December 1982
- Age: 36 years
- Place of birth: Jodhpur, Rajasthan
- Batting: right-handed bat
- Bowling: right-arm leg break
- Height: 5’4”,163cm
- Weight: 55kgs (approx.)
- Zodiac sign: Sagittarius
- Marital status: unmarried
- Instagram handle: mithaliraj (1.1 million followers)
- Gmail account: [email protected]
- Jersey number: #3 (India)
- Mithali Raj was born in Jodhpur to a Tamil family. She grew up in Hyderabad and did her schooling from Keyes high school for girls from Secunderabad. She went to Kasturba Gandhi Junior college for women in Secunderabad for her intermediate studies. She started playing cricket at a very young age of 10, and was selected in Indian cricket team at 17. Mithali used to oversleep, so to correct this habit her father would take her to cricket camp along with her brother.
- Her family includes her father, Dorai Raj who was an Airman Warrant Officer in the Indian Air Force. Her mother, Leela Raj is a homemaker and she has one elder brother Mithun Raj.
- Mithali started playing for Railways with stars like Purnima Rao, Anjum Chopra, and Anju Jain.
- At 14, she was one of the probables for the 1997 women’s cricket world cup but couldn’t make it to the final team.
- In 1999, she made her one-day international debut against Ireland at Milton Keynes and scored 114 runs of not out.
- On 17 August 2002, Mithali just at the age of 19 broke the record of 209 runs by Karen Rolton with her 214 runs and became world’s highest individual test score. (now second-highest)
- In 2005, Mithali led the Indian team to the finals of women’s cricket world cup where our team lost to Australia.
- Mithali has also served as a batting consultant for Indian women’s national cricket team.
- Since childhood Mithali was fond of dancing. Till class 8th, she used to practice Bharatnatyam but to focus on cricket, she had to give it up.
- Mithali also likes to read and her favorite poet is Rumi.
- In 2017, Mithali became the first player to score 6000 runs in women’s ODI.
- She is the 1st Indian and 5th woman cricketer overall to score over 1000 world cup runs.
- Raj was ranked world no. 1 cricketer in the ODI chart at the women’s world cup 2013.
- Raj holds the record for playing the most consecutive women’s one-day internationals for a team.
- She has become the first Indian cricketer to score 2000 runs inT20 International Cricket.
- Currently, she is the highest run-scorer in women’s cricket with 6295 runs.
- A biopic is to be shot on Raj’s life.
- She is the only player (male or female) to have captained India in more than one ICC ODI world cup finale, doing so twice in 2005 and
- She is the first cricketer to score 7 consecutive half-centuries in ODIs.
- 2003: Arjuna award
- 2015: Padma Shri (India’s fourth-highest civilian award)
- 2017: youth sports icon of excellence award ( at the Radiant Wellness Conclave, Chennai)
- 2017: Vogue sportsperson of the year (At Vogue’s 10th Anniversary)
- 2017: listed on BBC 100 women list