What is a Dry Shampoo? Dry shampoo, as the name says it, means something dry, used to cleanse your hair, without employing the use of water. Its working principle is just so simple. All it does is absorbs oil from your scalp and hair so that it looks freshly washed. Do not mistake it for being able to cleanse off dirt and grime from a long day’s work.
The spray types are usually the ones preferred when it comes to the matter of using dry shampoo. The common ingredients used in its manufacture are solvents, aerosol propellants, absorbing agents, conditioning agents and some mild fragrance.
This is used, not as a replacement to washing your hair, but, it just lengthens the time gap between your hair washes. Dry shampoos usually come in three forms, firstly, like a natural powder, secondly, an aerosol spray or thirdly, like a pump dispenser. Make sure you buy something that is a close match to your hair color since there have been some complaints regarding the white residue this leaves when used.
How to Use Dry Shampoo
One use of this dry shampoo is that it keeps your hair perfectly styled, free from a wash and some subsequent damage to its style. We shall now throw light on some of the facts this dry shampoo carries-
- This dry shampoo is only to be used on dry hair, in fact, this works only on dry hair. You wouldn’t see much difference in your hair if it is wet and freshly washed.
- Just like you spray your deodorants, make sure that when using an aerosol dry shampoo, you put a distance of at least 6 inches from your scalp. If you spray it a higher concentration, you will face a tough time trying it to separate from the rest of your hair.
- On initial usage, you will see your hair getting white. Let the product sit for a few minutes, before styling. Also, comb your hair using your fingers for some time, rather than using a comb.
- After application of this dry shampoo, add more if you see you missed any spots and brush through the hair to distribute it evenly.
- If you feel you have applied too much of the product, then, put some lightweight serum to the spot and brush out the dry shampoo until it is completely absorbed.
- Stop touching your hair frequently, since you will end up applying natural oils on your fingertips to the scalp, making your hair oily again.
- Do not apply dry shampoo right at the top of your head. This will leave a dreaded white residue, failing to add volume to your hair. Instead, you can lift the top layer, and spray underneath at the root, so that the white residue is not so visible.
Depending on the brand name, you generally get a dry shampoo for $3 to $75 a bottle, but you should also know that they often contain many chemicals, aiding in the process of absorption. To minimize ill effects caused due to these dry shampoos, you can go for some natural means and prepare dry shampoo by yourself, right at home!! Here is the recipe.
Homemade Dry Shampoo Recipe
Base of the dry shampoo to be used-
Firstly, use the base of dry shampoo, one from arrowroot powder, or Ground-up oatmeal, or maybe one from a variety of other fine, absorptive powders. Organic cornstarch is the most preferred because it’s easily available.
The primary ingredient to be used is half a cup of organic cornstarch, with an optional addition of 3-4 drops of essential oil for the scent, 2 tablespoons of unsweetened cocoa powder (for people with darker hair) and 2 tablespoons of cinnamon (for people with red or auburn hair).
Blend all the above ingredients and store the mixture in a container of your choice. Using a mason jar with holes poked in the lid is the best option for storage, else, a large, un-used salt shaker, or a recycled parmesan cheese container can also be used for storage.
Always apply this to the roots of the hair, by the use of a brush or a comb to make separate sections of hair. Then, shake the powder onto your scalp and gently massage it into the surrounding hair. Leave the application as it is for a time of two minutes to the minimum so that it absorbs all that oil from your hair. Finally, brush the dry shampoo through your hair so that no traces of it are left over.
You will see that the usage of this recipe for your hair as a dry shampoo will eventually decrease the extra oil from your hair. However, you will have to wash your hair at least once a week, even though you employ the use of this shampoo. See to it that you follow all the instructions and facts as mentioned above!
For something that is simple and inexpensive, dry shampoo is very effective in cleansing your oily hair.
I hope you all have liked the article. Drop your comments in the comments box below.
More Dry Shampoos?
Get Periods Early !! PREPONE PERIODS Naturally
MAC Brow Set Clear Color-Free Review
Very well written article with all the details in it ????loved it shravanti ???