Kajol, her name rings to your mind epitome of beauty and grace. After making her debut in 1992 in the movie bekhudi, kajol claimed to success through her Baazigar. Born to parents who were already a part of the film industry, once upon a time ago kajol was a star kid. She dropped out of college to pursue acting. Her name today is associated with a lot of popular romantic films including the evergreen Dilwale Dulhania le Jyege opposite the king of romance Shahrukh Khan. She is rightfully the queen of Romance.
- Maiden Name: Kajol Mukherjee, popularly known as just kajol
- Married Name: Kajol Devgan
- Husband Name: Ajay Devgan
- Children: 2
- Parents: Tanuja Samarth
- Date Of birth: 5th August 1974 Age 45
- Religion: Hindu
- Educational Qualifications: college dropout
- Height: 5’3
- Sun sign: Leo
- Place of birth: Mumbai, Maharashtra
- Eye color: Hazel
- Hair color: Black
Favorites of kajol:
- Favorite food: Pizza, Spaghetti Salad with Olives and French Fries
- Favorite Actor: Ajay Devgan and Shahrukh Khan
- Favorite Actress: Sridevi
- Favorite Director: Aaditya Chopra
- Favorite Bollywood Film: Sholay
- Favorite Hollywood Film: Casablanca and Gone with the wind
- Favorite Color: White
- Favorite Destination: Europe
- Favorite book: Notes to myself
While all these are commonly known about there is a lot about kajol that is hidden from the public. Very few people know that she was a hobby for knitting and likes to knit for her near and dear ones. Besides an actress, she is also a social activist and is known for her work with widows and children. Kajol has mentioned in an interview if not an actor she would have been a psychiatrist.
Family and Upbringing:
Kajol belongs to a Bengali Maharashtrian family, while she is fluent in Marathi, she struggles with Bengali. She is a part of the Famous Mukherjee- Samarth family. Her mother is a popular actress of old times and her Father is a noted film director and producer, her younger sister Tanisha is also an actress. She is also related to another popular actress of her time Rani Mukherjee. Ayan Mukherjee a popular director is her cousin. Being a part of a film family she was exposed to acting at an early age and got her first role at the age of 16.
She studied in Joseph Convent boarding school located in Panchgani. Apart from studies, she also participated in extracurricular activities, such as dancing. In her school years, she began to form an active interest in reading fiction, as it helped her “through the bad moments” in her life.
Marriage and Relationship:
Kajol is married to the actor Ajay Devgan whom she met on the sets of Gundaraj. They initially did not like each other but within 15 days of knowing each other, they grew quite fond of the other. Kajol is one of the few actresses to marry at the height of her career and who continued actively to play an active role in the film industry. She had two lovely kids with Devgan. She has previously been rumored to date the South Indian actor Karthik but she never confirmed these rumors.
Kajol started acting at the age of 16 since then there was no turning back. Even though her first film Bekhudi did not do well at box office it gave her a chance to shine, Kajol’s performance was noticed and she was signed for Baazigar which was her claim to fame. In 1995, Kajol starred in two major commercial successes karan arjun and Dilwale Dulhania le Jyege both opposite Shahrukh Khan. Another one of her biggest hits of all time kuch kuch hota hai stared her alongside Rani Mukherjee and Shahrukh Khan. She played a leading role in Karan Johar’s family drama Kabhi Khushi Kabhie Gham which became a blockbuster in India and overseas. Her last commercial success was Dilwale opposite Shahrukh Khan alongside Kriti Sanon and Varun Dhawan.
Awards and accolades
- Kajol has to her name 5 best actor Filmfare awards for Dilwale Dulhania Le Jyege, Kuch kuch hota hai, Kabhi Khushi Kabhie Gham, Fanaa and My Name is Khan.
- She became the first actress to win the Filmfare award for best villain for her film Gupt.
- In 2002, she was facilitated with 5th Annual Rajiv Gandhi Award (Excellence in active field)
- In 2008, she received Karamveer Puraskaar (National Award for Social Justice & Citizen Action)
- In 2011, kajol was awarded Padma Shri by the Government of India.