Janu Sirsasana is a seated form of asana and the name if derived from the position of this asana. In this asana, head touches the knee and that is how the name of the asana is derived from. The other names of this asana are – head to knee pose, head to knee forward bend and head on knee pose.
What should you remember before doing this asana
You must keep your stomach empty before doing this asana. That’s why this asana is advised as the first thing to be done in the morning. You need to keep your stomach light and empty while doing this asana. Additionally, in case you are not doing this asana, the first thing in the morning then try to do at least at a time when your bowel is empty. Keep a gap of at least 4-6 hours before you begin with this yoga pose. This way you can do this asana at the evening time also.
How to do Janu Sirsasana
Following are some easy peasy steps of how you should do Janu Sirsasana –
- Sit on the floor with your back in an erect position.
- Stretch your left leg till your hip joint area. Bend your right knee near the inner part of your left thigh.
- Chest and navel should line up with your left leg. This will set your entire torso in the correct position. Your hands should be positioned beside the hip area.
- Begin inhaling and extend your torso and belly right at the top of your head.
- As you begin exhaling, let your energy flow through your left leg.
- Hold the pose for some time and inhale deep and slow during this time.
- Finally, release the pose and let your muscle abdomen contract during this time.
Benefits of Janu Sirsasana –
Following are some of the major benefits of Janu Sirsasana
- Janu Sirsasana helps to keep your body toned. It keeps the flexibility of your body going and thus you are agile and active at almost all the time.
- Janu Sirsasana is a great stress buster. It helps to take any mental relief away from your mind and this is a great mind relaxation and calming pose.
- Janu Sirsasana helps to keep your abdominal activities clear. It helps a lot in digestion and thus promotes healthy living.