How to Use Essential Oils Correctly? Essential Oils: Everyone has been talking about it! There are so many varieties in the market and a gazillion of instructions to follow that even though we think we know about them, we still are clueless about their correct usage. All this ends today. Here I am with this article, to try and help you with the safe usage of Essential Oils.
Let’s start with it, shall we?
What are Essential Oils and how will they benefit my body?
Essential Oils are natural oils that are obtained by distillation (Don’t think too hard. Distillation means the action of purifying a liquid by the processes of heating and cooling. We learned this in school). They have the characteristic odour of the plant or the source from which it is extracted. There are various kinds of Essential Oils such as Lavender Oil, Tea Tree Oil, Peppermint Oil, Rose Oil and the like. They can be used as aromatherapy (It involves using the sense of smell to relax and stimulate the mind and body) for various reasons, such as to boost energy, stress relief, calm nerves, and increasing focus and can be used to improve skin conditions.
Why is it important to know the safe usage of such oils?
Here is the catch. Using Essential Oils is a little bit complicated. They are used for healing, toning and brightening of the skin. Incorrect usage may lead to allergies, skin reactions and other infections. Since they are concentrated substances, even a drop could have lasting effects.
What is Dilution?
Diluting an Essential Oil means making it weaker in force, content or value and to minimize the effect it could have. This is it. This is ALL you need to know about the safe use of Essential Oils for skin care. To apply it on the skin or hair, dilute it with ‘Carrier oil’, to avoid skin irritation. Carrier oils are base oils or vegetable oils such as Olive oil, Coconut oil, Almond Oil, Jojoba Oil and the rest.
What are the usages of Essential Oils?
- Skin: The anti-inflammatory and antimicrobial properties of Essential Oils help in the treatment of acne. Dilute the oil and apply it on the affected area. Leave overnight for best results. You can also add a few drops to honey and yogurt to brighten an area.
- Hair: Mix it with coconut oil and massage to soothe the scalp.
- Massage: Use the oil to give your body a message to ease off stress and to improve blood circulation. Add 15-20 drops of Essential Oil to half a cup of carrier oil.
- Bathing: Add 3-4 drops of Lavender or other calming scents to your hot bath. Dilute it, if you have sensitive skin.
- Simple Inhalation: This can be used to eliminate cold, sore throat or sinus congestion.
How to use Essential Oils?
- Cleanse your skin with water.
- Rub the diluted oil sparingly.
- Do not apply the oil near your eyes, nose or mouth.
- Avoid using them on the wounded parts of your body.
What else should I keep in mind?
- Essential Oils are generally flammable, so keep them away from direct sunlight.
- Keep them outside the reach of kids and pets.
- Seek expert advice if you are pregnant, under the age of ten or have a serious medical condition.
- Avoid touching your pets (especially cats) after usage.
Essential Oils are only for EXTERNAL use. Always test your body’s reaction to any Essential Oil. Dilute it and rub it a small amount on your skin patch and check for any reaction in the next 24 hours. If it causes irritation or a rash, wash it with cold water and discontinue usage of the product.
That’s it, you all. Go ahead and take the maximum advantage of these glorious oils. Remember everything we learned today!