What is it? Halasana or plow pose is a moderate to advanced level yoga pose which when done properly looks like a plow (an agricultural tool used to prepare the field for seeding). This pose exploits the muscles of the lower abdomen and increases the blood flow in the lower belly organs. That is why this pose is extremely beneficial for women having belly fat or menstrual irregularities.
How to do this pose correctly?
This pose is one of the poses that require a lot of muscle and spinal strength so it should be tried following proper steps in correct order to avoid injury. These are the steps,
- Lie on your back on a yoga mattress. Your hands and feet should be straight and relaxed. You may also add a folded blanket under your neck to make your shoulders at ease.
- Now join both the legs and lift them up until the legs are perpendicular to the floor surface. Press your palms on the floor to gain the lifting pressure.
- Stretch your legs further on the opposite direction by bending the spine. The legs should sweep across your head and land on the floor above your head.
- The body should stay perpendicular to the floor. You can keep your hands in the straight position or join them by interlacing the fingers.
- Relax your breathing and keep in this pose for 10-12 seconds as per your endurance.
- To release the pose bring the legs in the perpendicular position like the beginning and then on the floor.
- Repeat the steps 3-4 times in each schedule.
Why do you need to include it in your Yoga or fitness routine?
Here are the benefits of halasana that makes it worthy of being included in your daily fitness regimen,
- Plow pose helps to reduce menopausal related issues and tends to regularize irregularities in the menstrual cycle
- As we age, our spine tends to lose its flexibility and symptoms of various painful diseases like arthritis and spondylitis starts. Halasana increases the flexibility of the spine which in turn controls these diseases.
- This pose increases the strength of lower abdominal muscles and burns the accumulated fat in the lower belly.
- Halasana stimulates the thyroid gland and helps to reduce abnormal thyroid issues.
- This pose is extremely effective on chronic ailments like diabetes and high blood pressure.
- Plow pose increases the functionality of the intestines and helps in the digestion process.
Who should not try this?
Since the difficulty level of plow pose is considered medium to high, this pose might not be suitable for every fitness level. You should not try this pose if,
- You have suffered a spinal injury before
- You are an absolute beginner and/or your lower abdomen and back muscles are not toned enough to bear your lower body weight
- Your spine is not flexible enough
- You are pregnant
A single asan with lots of benefits .. I like it..and I must say that every girls should do this to get rid of all girly issues…
Loved your article sreeparna ❤️?
Thank you Apoorwa 🙂 🙂
Well researched article i must say! U have explained the process so well and also cautioned that who shudnt try it. That is very important as it may cause injury if not done correctly. Really nicely written ????
Thank you so much Shivani??
i will definitely try this excercise because of all its benefits, surely checks my issues. thank you for sharing this with us.