Fruit flies or Drosophila melanogaster are a species of tiny flies that generally lives on fermented and rotten foods (mainly fruits) and lay eggs on overripe fruits. These flies contaminate the fruits and can cause several digestive disorders. These flies have an extra-sensitive smelling organ that responds to fermented foods releasing the heavy smell. This specific species of flies are originally native to the continent of Africa but they are now found around the globe. Being a tropical species, these flies love warm weather with humidity. That is why these flies are seen more on summer time in India. These nuisance causing fruit flies make the living environment unhealthy. Here is How to Get Rid of Fruit Flies Fast!
# Fruit Fly Funnel Trap
The heavy and dense sweet scent of Apple Cider Vinegar attracts fruit flies like nothing else. In this trap, ACV is being used as the bait. To make this trap, take a wide-mouthed jar or pot. Make a paper funnel with a hole in the bottom. The paper cone should fit into the opening of the jar. Now, warm up some ACV to increase the smell and pour into the jar. Mix 2-3 drops of liquid surfactant (detergent or liquid soap) to the ACV. It will help to break the surface tension of the ACV so that the fly gets trapped into the liquid while drinking. Dip a piece of over-ripe fruit in the liquid and place the paper cone on the mouth of the jar. The flies will be smart enough to enter through the hole of the funnel but would not be able to come out. The trap is ready for use. Place it in the required place to catch fruit flies. To kill flies you need to put the jar in a bucket of hot water.
# Homemade Fly Repellent
Store-bought insect repellent sprays are often harmful to our body. They are not at all good for in the kitchen as they may precipitate on and contaminate the foods. You can easily make a fly repellent at home with just 3 ingredients. Take a spray bottle and fill 100ml water in it. Add 5-7 drops of citronella essential oil and 2 teaspoons of organic neem oil in it. Shake to mix and spray.
# Milk Flycatcher
A trick like this was used in New England around 1800’s to kill fruit flies. With a slight Indian touch, this trick has become even more deadly to the fruit flies! For this flycatcher, you will need a cup of milk and 1/3 cup of sugar and 1.3 cups of super hot chili flakes. Dissolve the sugar into the milk and keep boiling the mixture until it starts to get thick. Add the chili flakes and mix well. Finally, add some liquid detergent to break the surface tension of the concoction and pour it into a bowl. Keep the bowl in a place where fruit flies invade most.
# Red Wine and Cellophane Fly Catcher
Just like ACV, red wine is another favorite of fruit flies. Its fermented composition lures these flies. Exploiting the greediness of the fruit flies an excellent fly trap can be put together. For this simple flycatcher, you will need a small bowl, some red wine, 2-3 drops of detergent for breaking the surface tension, a fork and a small piece of cellophane paper. Mix the red wine and liquid soap. Pour it into the bowl. Seal the opening of the bowl using the cellophane sheet. Poke some holes in the cellophane using the fork. Voila! Your fly catching trap is ready!
# Pesticide Coated Window Covers
If the homemade fly traps are not the thing for you, you might seek more intense solutions to get rid of fruit flies. First, make sure your food items or any other items or even places of your home do not contain eggs or fruit flies. Then install pesticide coated window covers in the window panes of your home. The coating of pesticide will restrict the entrance of flies in your home. You make your own pesticide by using freshly pasted neem leaves.
# Eucalyptus Cleansing Solution
Oil of Eucalyptus has insect repellent properties. Regular use of eucalyptus oil mops not only repel the fruit flies but also kill their eggs and larvae. To make this cleansing solution, take a small porridge bowl of water. Mix 1 teaspoon of any soapy cleanser and ½ teaspoon eucalyptus oil to it. Mop the kitchen floor, tabletop etc with this solution and follow that up with a plain water mop.
More Interesting How To Articles?
- How to French Braid – Step by Step !
- How to Clean White Converse ?
- How to get Long Nails? Well, STOP Doing These Things!
- How To Apply Lipstick? STOP Making these Mistakes!
- How to Remove Holi Color From Face?
- How to Remove Nail Polish | Awesome Trick for Removing Glitter!
- How to Use Aloe Vera on Face?
- How to Get BIGGER Lips?
- How to Get Dimples!
- How to remove Mehendi from Hands!
- How to Wake Up Early
- How to Have The Perfect Relationship
- How to Apply Makeup If You Have Acne
- How To Straighten Hair Without Heat
- How to Use Rice Water for Beautiful Hair
- How to Look Beautiful in Your 30s
- How to Use TURMERIC for Beautiful Skin?
- How to Choose the RIGHT Face Wash?
- How to Use Castor Oil to Get Longer and Thicker Lashes Naturally – Step by Step!
- How to Choose the Right Foundation? A Simple Guide ?
- How to Deal with PCOS- Rocking Remedies !!
- How to Wear Heels WITHOUT the Pain
- Dhoti Sari Fashion Look of The Day + How to Drape !9
- How To Treat Premature Greying Of Hair
- How to Get Thicker Hair Naturally?
- How To Make Your Hands Look 10 Years Younger: 4 Simple Home Remedies!
- How to Deal With Angry People in Your Life? Part 2
- How To Deal With Angry People in Your Life? Part 1
- How to USE Lemons for Skin Lightening- The Right Way !!
- How to Buy Vegetables?