DIY Foundation: Foundation is the first and foremost tinted facial makeup product to create flawless and presentable makeup looks. A correctly matched foundation gets blended to the original skin tone and behaves like a ‘second skin’. It brings evenness in the complexion and hides minor blemishes. Some foundations are designed to blur the appearance of facial pores as well. Foundations are generally categorized into two groups depending on the coverage it provides. There are those sheer coverage ones and heavy coverage foundations. Sheer coverage foundations have high ‘blendability’ and they are often low in terms of pigmentation. They are good choices when one opts for ‘my skin but better’ kind of looks for everyday makeup routine. Today we are going to share a simple DIY foundation with sheer coverage which anyone can make at home with just 3 easily available ingredients and 5 minutes of time. Here we go with the recipe.
What will this DIY Foundation do?
This foundation will,
- Bring evenness to the skin tone
- Blur the appearances of acne marks or pigmentation to certain extent
Ingredients & Their Benefits:
- Aloe Vera Gel: Aloe Vera gel is enriched with a number of skin-friendly vitamins and minerals. The nature of Aloe Gel makes at act as a primer. This gel has a tendency to get absorbed into the skin leaving behind a smooth and hydrated skin surface. This helps to achieve even finish with any base makeup product. I have oily-combination skin and Aloe Vera gel works nicely for my skin. It is better to use Vitamin E gel or Lotus gel for drier skin types.
- Oil-free Moisturizer: Foundations often have drying effects to the skin. After a few hours of application, they tend to cling to the dry patches to make the matters further worse. A good quality Oil-free moisturizer is a must for this DIY foundation because it gives the tint producing products a moisturizing base to blend in and keeps the skin supple as an added benefit.
- Tinted Loose Powder: Tinted Loose Powder is the only product in this foundation that provides pigmentation to it. The tint of the powder should match to the skin by undertone and depth of pigment. We will be mixing it with fluid ingredients. So, the powder must be finely ground or it will be harder to get a lump-free smooth mixture. I am using a loose powder here but the scrapings of a pressed powder also work as long as it is powdered finely.
- Take ½ teaspoon Aloe Vera Gel.
- Add same amount (in this case ½ teaspoon) Oil-free Moisturizer to it and blend them together to get a smooth mixture.
- Now add a teaspoon of Tinted Loose Powder to it and mix again. Your DIY Foundation is ready!
Usage & Staying Power:
Take the desired amount of the foundation and dot it all over the skin. Keep blending with your fingers or any makeup blending tool of your choice until you get even finish. Top it off with a pressed powder or loose setting powder to make the foundation stay longer. Though this foundation is a light-weight one, it is best to use cleansing milk, oil or balm to get rid of it.
This foundation stays on my face for 3-4 hours on an average humid day. The stay time increases by 2-3 more hours in cold weather.
Precautions & Bonus Tips:
- Do not go heavy-handed with tinted powder or the foundation will get streaky on the skin.
- You can prepare the tint powder at home by mixing Calamine Powder, Fuller’s Earth and Cocoa Powder. Since I am not confident about the proportions of each ingredient, I prefer store-bought loose powder.
- It is best to use tried and tested moisturizer and aloe gel to avoid pimple outbreaks or any other adverse reactions.
These are a must read!
This was something really interesting to read B-) … Can’t wait to give it a try :love
Do try 🙂
I was looking for A DIY foundation on the internet for some time but I do not have most of the ingredients. I guess I can give this a try. It looks feasible. Thanks Sreeparna :love
You’re welcome 🙂
Try it 🙂
Thanks for sharing. This is gonna be very helpful when we ran out of our foundation.
Yeah. This can be a quick solution 🙂
Amazing DIY foundation in just 3 ingredients 🙂
Nice review :good:
Thank you 🙂
Great review and depicted quite nicely through pictures