Complete Home Remedies for Cystic Acne Treatment: We all have rolled our eyes in exasperation at the sight of a sudden flare-up or inflammation on our skin. It barely takes time for the inflammation to get converted into a full blown up pimple. This often happens coincidentally just before an important meeting or a party or other important events leading to even more annoyance.
Cystic acne is a severe form of acne characterized by itchy boils, deep inflamed pimples, red painful bumps or pus-filled bumps variable in size. Unlike other forms of acne, cystic acne is deeper within the skin, making it more painful. It occurs typically when a pore becomes blocked or clogged with oil, grime or dust and dirt making it inflamed. One cyst can spread the infection throughout leading to the occurrence to even more red bumps. Hormones and genetics play a major role in it. There are many factors which can cause or aggravate acne leading to cysts.
First Get Rid of Dead Skin Buildup
Skin is made up of two layers, the epidermis (outside) and dermis (inner). When your body produces newer skin cells, the old ones are shoved out toward the surface. This old cell then becomes dead as its place is taken by new cells. It stays for about a month, which means that you’re blessed with a new skin every month. Humans shed their skin more frequently than snakes do! Dead skin cells if not sloughed off regularly, can mix with the sebum and grime causing even more flare-ups. This becomes a breeding ground for bacteria to thrive. Therefore, it is important for you to exfoliate at least once a week.
1) Coffee scrub:
- This shall give a glow to your face and increase circulation
- 2 tbsp. coffee grounds
- 3-4 drops lemon juice
- Mix coffee grounds, lemon juice, and yogurt to form a paste
- Apply it on face and neck evenly
- Let it dry for 15 minutes
- Rinse while gently exfoliating the skin.
2) Baking soda:
- Baking soda acts as an excellent exfoliator without irritating the skin.
- 1 tbsp. baking soda
- 3 tbsp. water
- Mix baking soda and water to form a slurry
- Apply on face and neck evenly
- Gently rub the paste on the face
- Rinse thoroughly
3) Papaya fruit scrub:
- Papaya has BHA (beta hydroxy acid) that acts as a mild exfoliator and evens skin tone. Honey acts as an antioxidant and lemon juice contains AHA (alpha hydroxy acid) which cleanses the pores
- ½ cup mashed ripe papaya
- 1 tbsp. honey
- 3-4 drops lemon juice
- Mix the mashed papaya, honey and lemon juice to form a thick paste
- Apply it on your face and neck for 20 minutes
- Rinse with cold water
Control Excessive Oil
- The sebaceous glands, located in each hair follicle or tiny bit of skin, produce oil that lubricates the skin. They are found in large numbers on the face, back, chest and shoulders. If some of the oil becomes trapped, bacteria proliferate in the follicle making the skin inflamed. Acne is caused due to the over-activation of these oil glands.
Remedy: 1) Turmeric-coconut oil:
- Turmeric is an antiseptic and the curcumin present in it shrinks the cysts. Coconut oil has lauric acid which acts as an antibacterial whilst moisturizing the skin.
- 4 tsp. turmeric powder
- 3 tbsp. coconut oil
- Mix the turmeric powder and coconut oil to form a paste
- Apply this paste on the affected area
- Rinse after 10 mins
2) Cinnamon-honey mask:
- Cinnamon increases circulation and honey acts as an antibacterial.
- 1 tbsp. ground cinnamon
- 3 tbsp. organic honey
- Mix the cinnamon and honey to form a thick paste
- Apply it on the face and neck for 10-15 minutes
- Rinse with cold water
3) Multani mitti face pack:
- Multani mitti has oil absorbing qualities while keeping the moisture intact. Sandalwood powder has cooling properties while rosewater balances the skin pH.
- 2 tbsp. Multani mitti powder
- 1 tbsp. sandalwood powder
- 3 tbsp. rose water
- Mix the Multani mitti, sandalwood and rose water to form a paste.
- Apply the paste to your face and neck
- Rinse after 20-25 minutes
Important Things to Remember
- Do not over wash or over exfoliate your face. Always use facewashes which are hypo-allergic and non-comedogenic
- Apply ice to your newly formed inflammations to constrict the blood vessels and stop them from forming into full blown pimples or cysts
- For less severe acne, lavender can be used as a steam sauna as it kills germs and stimulates new cells.
- Use lacto calamine as a base instead of chemical-laden cosmetics which worsen the acne
- Include zinc-rich foods like nuts, whole grains and sunflower seeds in your diet. Zinc decreases the over activation of the oil glands thus reducing flare-ups.
- Apply green tea cold compress to the acne to reduce inflammation
- Crush an aspirin (Disprin) tablet to form a fine powder. Mix it with water to form a paste and then apply it to the pimple as an effective spot treatment
- Use diluted apple cider vinegar as a toner for oily skin
Good skin is made in the kitchen, not at the drugstore. However, if the condition persists or worsens it is always advisable to seek medical attention to determine the exact cause.